New Energy World Network: Connecting Investors, Innovators & Deal-Makers worldwide

Essential industry insights

cleantech --- renewables --- sustainability

Advanced
Search

Green packaging producer Biopack announces first South African order

4 Jan 2010

Hong Kong green packaging products manufacturer Biopack Environmental Solutions has shipped its first order to South Africa. The order, focusing on the company’s biodegradable fruit trays, represents the 15th market to order Biopack’s products.

Biopack manufactures biodegradable consumer packaging products from locally available sugar cane waste known as bagasse.

The order follows a move by South Africa to manage waste products in the country. In late 2008, the government passed the National Environmental Management Waste Bill, which includes national targets to reduce the amount waste products, including plastics, cans, paper, glass and tires, going to landfills by 70 per cent by 2022, and to have plans in place to minimise and treat the remaining 30 per cent.

The bill also states that integrated waste management dictates waste generation must be examined at all phases of the product’s life cycle, including packaging.

Gerald Lau, CEO, Biopack, said, ‘South Africa is an emerging market for sustainable packaging and one we have targeted for quite some time. South African consumers are continually demanding and expecting stronger sustainable packaging options.

Biopack sees this initial order as a first step in an expansion strategy focusing on the fruit growers and processors of this growing economy,’ he added.

The company is headquartered in Hong Kong, with manufacturing facilities in Jiangmen, China, with a presence in 12 European countries, North America and Taiwan.

Copyright © 2010 NewNet

Tags:


Related Posts


Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Legals & Terms of UsePrivacy & Cookies Policy

NewNet is a trading name of New Energy World Network Ltd, registered in England (No. 06695690).
Registered Office: Zetland House, 5-25 Scrutton St, London EC2A 4HJ
Content is © New Energy World Network (NewNet) 2008-2014